A1C Below 6%
• The AlC test reflects your blood glucose control over the past 2-3 months.
• Work with your blood to have your own personal AlC goal.
• Every 1% over 6% elevates the risk for diabetes complications.
• Your blood glucose will stay lower with exercise and restricted calorie intake.
Blood Pressure Below 120/80
• Up to 60% of people with diabetes suffer from High Blood Pressure.
• High blood pressure can cause heart attack, stroke and kidney disease.
• Blood pressure remains low when you restrict sodium in your diet.
Cholesterol & Lipid in Check
• The LDL goal for most people is below 100.
• The HDL goal for most people is above 40 for men and 50 for pre-menopausal women.
• Keep triglycerides lower than 150.
If you have diabetes you are more prone to lipid abnormalities and heart disease
• LDL or ”bad” cholesterol can cause clogging of your blood vessels (atherosclerosis) and cause heart attack or stroke.
• LDL stays low when you eat less saturated fat and cholesterol from animal foods..
• HDL or ”good” cholesterol helps remove cholesterol from your blood vessels.
• HDL stays high when you exercise, eat fish and dietary fibers and lead a healthy life.